Tuesday 29 August 2017

Tuesday Poem: "Happily Planting the Beans Too Early" by Jack Gilbert



I waited until the sun was going down
to plant the bean seedlings. I was

beginning on the peas when the phone rang.

It was a long conversation about what

living this way in the woods might

be doing to me. It was dark by the time

I finished. Made tuna fish sandwiches

and read the second half of a novel.

Found myself out in the April moonlight

putting the rest of the pea shoots into

the soft earth. It was after midnight.

There was a bird calling intermittently

and I could hear the stream down below.

She was probably right about me getting

strange. After all, Bashō and Tolstoy

at the end were at least going somewhere. 



by Jack Gilbert




For more information about poet, Jack Gilbert, see:


https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poets/jack-gilbert

No comments:

Post a Comment