Thursday 28 April 2011

Jealous, who me?

"Moral indignation - jealousy with a halo." - HG Wells

I don't really know anything about H.G. Wells other than his books. I have no idea what sort of a personal life he led, but I came across this quote by him and it struck me that he was probably mischievous, liked a good time and had a great sense of humour. A sense of humour can redeem even the greatest of swine while being humourless can make even the nicest personalities hard work.

Lately, I've been experiencing a great deal of indignation, but, none, I hope, which could be construed as of the moral kind.

I was walking down our much-damaged street (earthquake fatiguers alert: turn away now, find another blog or make a nice cuppa for your loved one and/or partner) and this idiot, and I'm being charitable here, sped down our street weaving around all the holes in the road like he was doing an obstacle course at Brands Hatch. Then, unbelievably, he turned around and came back the other way as I yelled ineffectively from the wobbly footpath: "Slow down, you idiot!"

So, be warned, tiki tourers, non-observers of the lowered speed limits, looters and chancers and exploiters of every stripe, my indignation is rising. Not that I can do anything about it. I'm as impotent as Peter Finch's character in Network yelling out of the open window of a high-rise: "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to stand for it any more!"

But what you do in your bedrooms, boudoirs or wherever you do it, concerns me not a whit. As they say: "Make love, not war." I'm with HG on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment