Tuesday 20 July 2010

Procrastination Stimulus

I have just embarked on writing a new short story. It never fails to surprise me how this is a great stimulus for procrastination.

I want to enter the story in a competition with quite big prizemoney. I convinced myself that during the two weeks of the school holidays I would not be able to give it my full focus. So I started on Monday which was yesterday and the deadline closes on Friday so I have a week or less than a week if I have to post it. The online conditions seem set up to be Anti-Mac, but that is another story.

But once I confront my fears and launch into writing, the story grows and grows in my mind and on the page. And I wonder, why did I put myself under this ridiculous pressure. Why aren't I more organised and give myself plenty of time to write and rewrite the stories before the deadline looms?

I promise myself to not do this again. But somehow I suspect this won't be the last time this happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment